Member? Please login
POLLS CLOSED | 2023-2024 BCCJ Executive Committee Election
Written by BCCJ
April 21, 2023
Community and Business
At 1700JST on April 21, the polling period for the 2023-2024 BCCJ Executive Committee Election came to a close…
At 17:00 on March 17, the application period for the 2023-2024 BCCJ Executive Committee (Excom) and President closed. This year, 16 candidates are competing for 15 Excom seats.
Excom should represent an appropriate balance of members of the business community with specific skills and experiences that will benefit the BCCJ and its membership at large.
Who is standing for election?
The following 16 candidates, listed in alphabetical order of last names, have confirmed their willingness to serve on the 2023-2024 BCCJ Executive Committee.
First-time candidates are bolded.
- Alison Beale, University of Oxford Japan Office
- Andrijana Cvetkovikj, BrioNexus KK
- Robert England, en world Japan
- Ken Katayama, Individual Member
- Tove Kinooka, Global Perspectives K.K.
- Kentaro Kiso, Barclays Securities Japan Limited
- Junko Kubokawa, Croda Japan K.K.
- James Littlewood, EY Strategy and Consulting Company
- Richard Lyle, Intralink KK* (Presidential Candidate)
- Mark McFarlane, TACCHI K.K.
- James Nepaulsingh, Individual Member
- Takuji Okubo, Individual Member
- Sven Palys, Yuzu Kyodai
- Vivian Tokai, Economist Intelligence Corporate Network
- Edward Weeks, HSBC
- Taisuke Yokota, Camping with Soul Japan Ltd
Of the above, Richard Lyle has indicated his willingness to serve for one year as President of the Chamber and Chair of the Executive Committee. Richard qualifies for, and is therefore proposed to serve as FY2023-2024 BCCJ President, conditional to his being elected onto Excom.
BCCJ 2023-2024 Executive Committee Election Booklet
Read the BCCJ 2023-24 Executive Committee Election Booklet for the full list of candidates and their pledges to the BCCJ HERE
Who has voting rights?
The BCCJ’s one-member one-vote framework means that one vote is allocated per BCCJ membership.
Eligible voters are:
(i) Nominated Representatives (each BCCJ member company has one Nominated Representative)
(ii) Individual members
How are votes cast?
On Tuesday, April 4, eligible voters will have received an email with a unique link asking them to vote – anonymously and via a secure online voting platform – for the candidates they wish to represent the membership at Excom level in Chamber year 2023-2024.
The voting form is comprised of one section:
i) Excom Election: choose between 1-15 candidates (from 16 possible candidates) to be elected as Excom members.
We encourage all members with voting rights to exercise their right to vote.
Voting ends on Friday, April 21 at 1700.
When are the results announced?
The results of the 2023-2024 Excom election will be announced at the BCCJ Annual General Meeting (AGM), to be held from 1830-2100 on April 27 at Charmant Scena Tokyo, in the presence of HM Ambassador to Japan, Julia Longbottom CMG. This event includes a light buffet and drinks reception and is free for all BCCJ members (currently limited to one representative per company due to capacity).
BCCJ Annual General Meeting 2023
Thursday, 27 April 2023
Charmant Scena Tokyo
- February 22 – March 17: Excom application period NOW CLOSED (16 applications received, 1 Presidential application received)
- April 4 – April 21: Election (voting) period NOW OPEN
- April 27: BCCJ AGM, Charmant Scena Tokyo, 1830-2100 – BOOK HERE
– The Excom election decides which members will steer the strategic direction of the BCCJ in Chamber year 2023-2024. Under the BCCJ Constitution, the Excom is run by a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 15 individuals.
– The application period for the BCCJ 2023-2024 Executive Committee (Excom) and Presidential elections opened on February 22. By the application deadline, March 17 at 1700, we had received 16 nominations that met constitutional guidelines.
– All Excom candidates have adhered to the same format in preparing campaign pledges of no more than 100 words for the election voting site. Beyond this, any campaigning or electioneering by candidates is not permitted.
– Darren Goff (Head of UK Trade and Investment at the British Embassy Tokyo) and Matt Knowles (Director of the British Council, Japan) will continue to represent their respective organisations as ex-officio members of Excom.
Thank you in advance for your active participation in BCCJ Governance, and this year’s BCCJ Excom elections.