Member? Please login
BCCJ job opportunity: Global Sporting Event Project Manager
Written by Sam
August 28, 2014
In the build up to Japan hosting the 2019 Rugby World Cup, and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics – and against the successful backdrop of London 2012 and the 2015 Rugby World Cup in the UK – the British Chamber of Commerce in Japan (BCCJ) is looking to support the interests of its members before, during, and after these forthcoming global sporting events.
BCCJ Global Sporting Events Project Manager
Executive Director (ED) – Lori Henderson
The BCCJ is seeking an energetic, flexible and enthusiastic staff member to help organise and deliver our ambitions around three global sporting events taking place in Japan in 2019 and 2020 – the Rugby World Cup, the Olympics, and the Paralympics. Working closely with our members, the candidate will actively seek and develop partnership opportunities with relevant sporting event organisers, business groups, sporting organisations, and local groups in Japan, to support the interests of the BCCJ in business and wider community activities. As well as developing these relationships, the candidate will be part of a team organising BCCJ events, supporting members in business opportunities, and providing background information related to the three sporting events, in both English and Japanese.
- native-level Japanese, business-level English
- strong organisational skills
- event management experience
- able to work and negotiate with senior executives
- experience in both Japanese and foreign business communities. Public sector experience an advantage
- ability to identify and exploit business opportunities
- marketing and business promotion skills
- strong networking and interpersonal skills
- report writing ability
- affinity for sports and events
- This is a contract position covering the period up to March 2015
- The Chamber offices are in Ark Hills in Akasaka
- This position is funded by the Overseas Business Network Initiative (OBNI) of the UK government department, UK Trade and Investment (UKTI)
How to apply
- CVs and cover letters with salary expectations to: [email protected] by 1700 on September 1 2014
- Individual enquiries cannot be answered
- Short-listed candidates will be contacted no later than September 3
BCCJ is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and contractors. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
About the BCCJ
The BCCJ, which marked its 65th anniversary in 2013, is an exceptionally active and ever-expanding private membership organisation serving over 750 high-caliber members, linked via eight communications channels.
Open to members of all nationalities, we offer high-value events, productive networking and promotional opportunities, valuable information services, and access to influential individuals and institutions.
Our mission is to strengthen business ties between the UK and Japan, promote and support the business interests of all our members, and actively encourage new British business into the Japanese market as well as Japanese investment into the UK.
This mission is supported by our close and long-standing links with the British Embassy, the British Council, the European Business Council, as well as an extensive network of trade organisations in Japan and the UK.